Friday, February 17, 2012

Final Excerpt from The Gilboa Iris Before The Book Launch!!


Dov Regev’s Office, Herzliya, Friday 10 a.m.

“Boker tov, Dara. Good morning. I regret that we had to meet under
such circumstances.”
I could only nod an acknowledgement.
      “I trust your flight went smoothly?”
“Yes, it did.”
“Would you like some coffee?”
“No, thank you. I would just like to get on with the purpose of this
meeting, if you don’t mind.” I opened my bag and pulled out the cursed
file, placing it on the desk between us. “Here is my father’s file.”
“Thank you, Dara.”
      I watched him as he leafed through it. Dov Regev was younger
than I imagined he would be. He could not have been much older than
Roni. He too exhibited a confidence and quiet strength so rare in men
his age – or rather, so rare in men I would meet in the United States, for
example. I recognized it right away. It was the solemn strength of one
who was battle worn.
      Dov proceeded to question me about Mace Devlin, and I told him
everything I knew, including the meeting he had with the owner of Al
Mansaf restaurant in Brooklyn.
      “Dara, I would like to thank you for all your help in this matter, as
well as for your courage. David Lev filled me in on all that transpired
in New York. I know how terrifying this entire experience has been for
you.” He looked at me, conveying a genuine warmth.
“Well…now, I would just like to put the whole thing behind me.”
“Of course. I understand. Do you have family in Israel?”
“No.”
“Friends?”
“A few.”
      He crinkled his brow in concern. “So…you’re nineteen and alone
in the world?”
“Yes, I suppose I am.” I felt my face fall into a cynical smirk, the
kind that Roni had sported when we first met.
      “Do you at least have plans to stay at a friend over Shabbat?”
“Actually, I made no plans. If you can direct me to the nearest
hotel, I’ll get a room before I figure out what to do next.”
      Dov picked up the phone and instructed his secretary to reserve
a room in my name at the Tel Aviv Hilton. “You have the room for a
week; the expense is taken care of.”
“Thank you, but that’s not necessary.”
“Please, don’t give it a thought. You put your life at great risk by
providing us with your father’s file. It’s the least we can do for you. Oh,
and if there is anything I can help you with in getting yourself settled in
Israel, don’t hesitate to call me.” He handed me his card.
“Thank you, Dov.”
      We shook hands, and I walked out of his office just as another man
walked in.
                                       ***
“Whoa! Who was that?” the man exclaimed once he closed the
office door behind him.
“Did you notice her eyes?” Dov asked.
“Let’s just say I noticed the whole package…why?”
“Well, they looked…battle worn.”
“I guess you would know, Dov.”

                                      ***

Two days after I met with Dov Regev at his office, I received a call
from him. With the additional information that I had provided Dov
– information that his office subsequently passed along to the FBI –
the FBI arrested Mace for homicide and conspiracy to commit
treason. They raided the apartment where Mace was staying. There, they found the
murder weapon, although there were no fingerprints on it. It had been
wiped clean. “The apartment,” Dov explained, “was actually used as a
safe house for Mace and his neo-Nazi cronies.”
      I felt no relief at this news. I felt nothing. I questioned if I still
had a pulse. “I suppose I have to go back and testify, right?” The lack
of emotion in my voice sounded odd to me. Dov hesitated before he
answered. “Dara, there may not be a trial.”
“What?” I suddenly found my pulse.
“Mace may be able to make a deal.”
“What deal?”
“He can provide the FBI with valuable information. He’ll do time,
but it won’t be life.”
“No! I won’t allow it.”
“I’m very sorry, Dara; I know how painful this is for you. But…
as I understand it, it’s…not up to you. It’s up to the state prosecutor
and the FBI. You see, Mace Devlin is small-fry compared to what’s out
there. To avoid the risk of a life sentence, Mace may decide to turn over
significant information on the neo-Nazi network.”
“But he committed murder…” I trailed off.
“Yes, he probably did. But, the evidence is at best…circumstantial.
They can’t categorically pin him as the triggerman. Plus, Mace seems to
have an alibi. Still, Devlin doesn’t want to run the risk of a trial, and the
FBI feels it has much more to gain in making a deal with him.”
      I didn’t answer. I was wondering what other bombshell awaited me.
“Dara? Are you still there?”
“How many years will he get?” I found my voice again.
“I don’t know that yet.”
“Well…I appreciate you calling and apprising me of the situation.”
“Are you going to be all right?”
“I won’t fall apart and cry over this, Dov, if that’s what you mean.
Tears have never helped us,” recalling Roni’s words. “One way or
another, the Jews will fight back.”
“Yes, Dara. That is one thing that I can promise you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment