Sunday, January 8, 2012


THIRD EXCERPT:  THE GILBOA IRIS      



      “Come Roni, let’s walk to the rocks.” Dalya took hold of his arm,
leading him behind the house where there stood a small forest of trees.
They followed a winding path laden with fallen pinecone needles, which
led to a formation of huge stones that jutted out from the hill.
      “It’s been awhile since we spent some time together,” Dalya said, wistfully.
“It’s taken you a long time to get back to yourself.”
“Back to myself ?” Roni contemplated. “I’m not sure I remember
what that is.”
“Well, at least you’re talking now instead of grunting. And I never
thought I’d ever see you smile again.”
          Roni sat down on one of the large rocks and narrowed his eyes at
his sister. He knew her too well. “Why do I get the feeling that all this
is leading somewhere?”
          “She’s a lovely girl, Roni.”
“Thanks, Dalya. I know,” Roni said, still wary.
          “She’s clearly very good for you. I can see that.”
“She gave me my life back.”
          “And now…you’re going to take hers away.”
          Roni shot his sister a hard look. “Stop right there, Dalya.”
“I know you, Roni. I know what’s in your head. You don’t have to
spell it out.”
         “Dalya, I told you to stop. I can’t talk about this with you.”
“Then don’t. But I can talk.”
“I won’t listen. You’re bitter.”
“I wasn’t always like this, Roni. You know that.”

         Shaking his head, he said in a low voice, “She’s not like you.”

         “I doubt that Dara truly understands what she’s getting herself
into.”
         “You don’t know her.”
“But does she understand?”
           Roni’s eyes blazed at his sister. “She understands that this is our
land; she understands that we must safeguard it for the generations to
come; she understands the burden that God has entrusted us with. Yes,
she understands and she accepts it!”
          “Ahh, now you’re a man of God again. I thought you two had
parted ways.”
“This conversation is over.” He rose from the rock and started for
the path heading back to the house.
          “Look, Roni,” Dalya hurled herself in his way, clutching his arms
before he could leave, “it’s easy to see how much you love her and why.
She’s warm and she’s kind-hearted; at first glance one can tell how truly
special she is. The whole family is taken by her…”
          “So, Dalya? What’s your point?”
“So don’t curse her to the kind of life I have. My children don’t
know their father – is that what you want for yourself ? And for Dara to
constantly be alone, never knowing when she’ll see you next, or for how
long, and never knowing what God-forsaken part of the world you’re
in – it’s a miserable existence, Roni.”
          “I’m not like your husband,” he lowered her hands from him.
“But you’re planning to be.”
          “I’m not planning anything. You’re talking nonsense.”
“I’m married to a Mossad agent! Do you really think I’m clueless?”
          “Your imagination is running wild. I have nothing to do with
Mossad.”
“You’re not regular army!”
          “And I suppose you get your information straight from the chief
of staff.”
“Joke all you want, but I know you probably better than you know
yourself.”
          “Dalya, you know pathetically little. Don’t ever bring this up again.”
There was an implicit warning in his tone, and he stared her down with
a burning glare before walking away.
            “This is not something you can walk away from. It’s not just about
you,” she called out after him. He stopped short and turned slowly and
deliberately around to face her.
            “No, it’s not about me.” His voice was acid. “It never was. I’ve
always looked at the bigger picture, Dalya. It’s time you did that instead
of wallowing in self-pity.”
“Don’t you dare judge me.”
            “In this land of ours, until there is peace, we all have a price to pay.
What Natanel is doing, he’s doing for your children – for all our future
children. Don’t ever forget that Dalya, and don’t ever forget all that he
is sacrificing.”
“Forget it? I live with it every day of my life. Years of waiting take
a toll on a woman, and Dara will be no different.”
            “You’ve said enough. It ends now.”
            “Just one last thing, Roni, and then I’ll leave you to your thoughts.
If you need to follow this course, then follow it. If anyone was born to
it, you were. But if you really love Dara, then you’ll set her free.” With
that, Dalya ran past Roni and headed back to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment